415: Cloudflare Q1, Apple VR Headset, Tinder for Friendships, James Dyson, Palmer Luckey, AI Fools Bank & Family, and Diplomat
"Do we need to destroy some taboos"
Civilization is a sort of iterated, recursive potty training.
📅 🚶🏻♂️🚢⚓️There are now over 17,000+ “you” on this steamboat, or 1.41 Hobarts.
Thank you for being here, I appreciate it! I never want to take your time for granted, I know that there are many other things you could be spending it on.
In fact, my goal is to save you time so that in a few minutes you can read highlights from hours and hours of exploration across many topics.
In short: Exploration-as-a-Service! 🕵️♂️
🛀💭🤖✂️🎞️ I was thinking about digital editing tools, such as for video and audio.
It seems clear that the AI-enhanced future will be to train some model on what you’d like your video/audio to be like, feed it the raw recordings of what you created, and have it create a rough cut for you, or maybe even suggest a few variations.
For example, could a filmmaker request “I want the editing to be like in Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street”? Could a podcaster prompt the tool with “I want it to sound like Accidental Tech Podcast, Cortex, and The Drive” 🤔
🌱→🌳 If you want to learn and grow, you have to replace this inner monologue:
I don’t understand most of this, so I’m going to stop
With this one:
I don’t understand most of this, so I’m going to *continue*
A personal example of this comes to mind: when I first started listening to some of the biomedical episodes of Peter Attia’s podcast, I sometimes only understood 20-30% of what they were talking about.
But by sticking with it, looking up terms and reading some of the studies or books they mentioned, or sometimes just from the context around certain things and having them come up again and again, my % of understanding went up.
Not to 100%, but certainly much higher than if I had just given up, and I feel that I learned a lot more by this sink-or-swim approach than if I had stayed in the kiddie pool. 🏊♂️
📲🤖🤪 Y’know where I’d like to see all this neat AI tech that we’re developing these days applied?
To make phone keyboard typing and swiping much better. The predictive algorithms should be bulletproof by now!
On my phone, I write by swiping 90% of the time and thumb-typing the remaining 10%, and it’s crazy to me that in 2023, our phone keyboards are still so dumb and error-prone. It shouldn’t be that hard to predict the most likely next letters and words that I’m trying to type or swipe. 😩
🏦 💰 Liberty Capital 💳 💴
📉 Cloudflare Q1 🕵️♂️
Keep reading with a 7-day free trial
Subscribe to Liberty’s Highlights to keep reading this post and get 7 days of free access to the full post archives.